Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Birds of a Feather

One thing I like is Tradition. I like when things that I like repeat - whether it's Awesome Club every Tuesday, or River House almost every year, or Birthday Fancy Feast - I like knowing that fun things will reoccur.

Herewith an example. My Birthday Fancy Feast partner and I have a tradition of flipping off Amber at the River House ever year.

The first time this happened was in Summer 2002. Kevin and I drove up to the River House in a rental SUV. Along the way we listened to The The, and rear ended (hee hee) some Jamaicans which prompted me to make a pun that I am still proud of to this day. The evening prior, Sarah and I had gone to see Miss Dolly Parton at Irving Plaza, after eating at KFC with Kevin.

At the show I bought a concert t-shirt. When I was making my selection, I asked Sarah "Is this too nelly?" and she replied "It's a Dolly Parton Concert t-shirt. It's not going to be butch."

Anyway, when we got to the house, Amber greeted us on the deck. Here's our spontaneous pose.

In Summer 2005, we went to the house again. This time we all drove up together in a rental SUV, and the highlight meal of that weekend was not KFC but Chicken Selects(TM) at McDonald's. Here's that year's spontaneous pose:


This year Kevin and I took different routes to the River House. I took a bus that mysteriously crossed the international dateline for 45 lost minutes, Kevin came later that evening on a different, more timely bus. It was too dark by then for our outdoors spontaneous pose, but it's never too dark in the house.


I am proud of Tradition, of River House, of Flipping The Bird, and of the amortization of that Dolly Parton t-shirt. Because I'll be danged if I wear that in public anywhere outside of River House.

1 comment:

Brian said...

These pictures will haunt you when you run for office. If I have to personally see to it.