Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Shelley, Also Known As Birthday




It's that day of the year again!

Happy Birthday, Miss Shelley Winters!

Now, maybe you think I should be blogging about my recently completed vacation to Charleston. However, August 18th only comes but once a year, so I'll write about my old pal Shelley, also known as Shirley. Besides, as my cohort in Carolina Club likes to say, my blog is mostly about kitties and divas.

So 89 years ago today, Miss Shelley Winters was born. Born Shirley Schrift, that is. And I know this partly because I have read both volumes of her memoirs: Shelley: Also Known As Shirley, and Shelley II: Still Also Known as Shirley.

I am very lucky to have received a "crazy copy" of Shelley I as a gift once. Glued to the title page is this note:


Here's the text, you can click on it to make it bigger:


What a lucky dickens this man was! And not just because of the $3.00 tip delivered by the "colored maid." As he was receiving this tip, my mother was 7 months pregnant with me.

Anyway, I really like the montage below this man made of Shelley from her movies, and I especially like the little song he sings along with it, which includes all her movie deaths. Be sure to listen to it with sound for the ditty, though note there are quite a few spoilers. She sure died a lot on film.






Much like Joan, she sure should have stayed away from the water, even if in it she was a very skinny lady. Happy Birthday up in Heaven, Shelley!

No comments: