Thursday, July 2, 2009

R.I.P., Mrs. Slocombe & Her Pussy

It's no secret I used to watch programs with my dad when I was little.

He was a fan of the PBS airings of British shows, so we watched a lot of those.


One such program was The Avengers. I was always drawn to Mrs. Peel & her leather outfits & high kicks, which at the time didn't seem to indicate much of anything, but now maybe does. Anyway, I could never really follow what the episodes were about; the plots seemed overly complex and nonsensical at the same time, but I figured that was something Grown-ups understood. It wasn't until I was older and Amber and I started getting Avengers eps from the library that I realized they DIDN'T make any sense.


Another program we watched, which is why I'm writing this, was Are You Being Served?, a British sitcom set in a department store.


The recurring gag, which I guess slipped past censors on both sides of the pond, was Mrs. Slocombe talking about her pussy. I certainly wasn't in on this joke, but judging from how hard he laughed, my dad surely was.


Looking back, this is probably when I was imprinted with my love of the saucy double entendre, especially involving all things foreign.Now, Mrs. Slocombe, or Mollie Sugden, died yesterday at the good old age of 86. There were no posters of her with her nipples out like Farrah, or scandals like with Michael, but we'll miss her just the same.

Some buddy on youtube put together this great compilation of Mrs. Slocombe & Her Pussy's Greatest Hits. It's a little long, but it does kinda fly by.



Rest In Peace, Mrs. S!

No comments: