Monday, February 9, 2009

Ladies & Gentlemen, Miss Blossom Dearie

I am very sad to report that Miss Blossom Dearie passed away over the weekend. She was 82, and while she was most active in the 1950s and early 60s, she was still performing up until just a few years ago at Danny's Skylight Room on 46th Street, just behind my house.


I was lucky enough to see her perform three times between 1999 and 2006, and each time she was a magnificent treat. She'd do my favorites, "Peel Me A Grape" and "I'm Hip" and "Thou Swell," plus her dog Princess's favorite, "Surrey With The Fringe On Top."

We weren't allowed to use the flash for the picture above because it would have hurt her eyes, but that's OK, it was still exciting to meet her.

Here's her rendition of "I Won't Dance."



Thanks for the memories, Blossom.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We should all have such nice names.

ALH said...

Or such nice voices.

Tinsel Shrimpfax said...

I love that lady.