Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Penguin Suit To Beat All Penguin Suits

WHAT a little cutie Pierre is.


Pierre first came to my attention this summer, when Sarah shared his story at Cape Cod Club.

Pierre is not just another pretty Penguin Face. He's a 25 year old African Penguin who lives at the California Academy of Arts & Sciences. Yep, that's right, the same CAS that Sarah and I visited back in November.


Well, a few years back the CAS was closed for its big renovations, and Pierre and all his chums were moved to a temporary facility. Sadly, Pierre didn't adjust so well, and his nervousness at the new digs manifested itself with bald patches all over. Now, you may recall from Penguin Class that their waterproof feathers are what keep them warm and buoyont in the pool, so this was more than an aesthetic problem for our buddy - he wouldn't be able to play any of regular Penguin Games, which clearly wouldn't do.

So what happened? Well, some nice lady who worked with him called some nice company, and they created a one-of-a-kind wetsuit for the little buddy!


He used the wet suit for a few months, and lo and behold he calmed down and all his feathers came back!






I just think this is just the sweetest story I've ever heard. God Bless you, little penguin buddy!

5 comments:

ALH said...

I love animals.

Anonymous said...

I love this story and appreciate you bringing it to my attention. I would suggest the addition of these tags, in order to help you bring it to the attention of as many other blog readers as possible:

Technology, Signature Styles, Lessons Learned, Household Hints, Crafts

CRD said...

Kevin you are now my Designated Tagger. This is truly your calling.

Tinsel Shrimpfax said...

That penguin is a precious angel.

ALH said...

Your video disappeared.

I want a wet suit.

Or a penguin.