Monday, August 25, 2008

Happy Amberday!

Today is a very special day, because On This Day In History, Amber came into the world.

I first met Amber in 1992, when I was interning at The New Yorker and she was Editor-In-Chief of Lingua Franca. Since then the New Yorker moved into the Conde Nest building and Lingua Franca moved into history.

This is the earliest photo I have to prove the existence of our friendship. Amber seems to be very proud of her mannish shirt, her all-day-sucker, and her pun-filled lunch treat.


One great thing about Amber is her friendship of small animals, including but not limited to the beloved Shorty and the feared Pirate.


She is also a big fan of high fashion, as evidenced here by this beautiful quinceria dress she's modeling at my place.

If I hadn't moved to Cape Cod this week, I'd be celebrating Amber's birthday with her in person. While I'm glad for my vacation, I'm sorry I don't get to celebrate Amber on her special day. Maybe if I'm lucky we can have Birthday Fancy Feast when I get back.

1 comment:

ALH said...

Maybe if I get lucky, we will have birthday fancy feast. I am grateful for all the years of friendship we have had and look forward to many more. You are like the smell of a chile relleno in that you were not on my plate last night, but you are definitely part of the positive experience.