Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Foreigners Say The Darndest Things

I love goofy Foreigners. Just one of the many cute things they do is re-title American movies for no reason. Now, I can't explain why the not-very-good Spanish movie Abre Los Ojos was remade as a not-very-good American movie called Vanilla Sky, but I can at least understand that they were going for the whole "philosophical" title thing.


But why is Boys On The Side called Kaffee, Milch, & Zucker in Germany? Is this meant to be a description of the three heroines? Is Whoopi the coffee? Does that make Mary Louise the milk, and sweet Drew Barrymore the sugar?

That cultural arbeiter, USA Today, had a funny story yesterday on how foreigners re-title movies, which is what reminded me of Koffee, Milch & Zucker. My favorites are that the Taiwanese know Get Smart as Is The Spy Capable or Not? and the Chinese think Knocked Up is called One Night, Big Belly.

I dunno. I can't wait to find out what they call Amber & my detective show in Germany!


No comments: