Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Little Miss Barbara Stanwyck



Who doesn't love Barbara Stanwyck? Jerks, that's who.



On Monday night Tyler and I watched Christmas in Connecticut. It's definitely not a great movie, but just like in Big Valley, she brings the A Game to every scene. Poor Dyan Cannon didn't have a chance to match her in the TV remake, directed by the Governator. Here's wishing Jenny Garner all the best in her 2009 try.





I think my favorite Stanwyck movie might be Ball Of Fire, where she plays Sugarpuss O'Shea and teaches stuffy Gary Cooper about slang, like "shove in your clutch" and "get me on the Ameche." She also does a mighty fine version of "Drum Boogie" with Mr. Gene Krupa.


She's also pretty great in Double Indemnity, Clash By Night, Baby Face, and of course The Lady Eve.


"Let us by crooked, but never common." Words to live by.



1 comment:

ALH said...

I love B. Stanwyck! She's so good in DOUBLE INDEMNITY that it makes me want to kill my husband.