Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Friendly Neighborhood Sheen Brothers

It's still me, ALH, guest-blogging while CRD is Down Under. One of the topics he suggested I discuss with you was Sheen Brothers. The photo above is the view down East 10th Street, with the intersection of Avenue B in the distance at the traffic light. Sheen Brothers is the deli on the right with the blue awning. It was originally called Avenue B Farm. Although it changed management it remained the source of many a gastric delight for CRD and I: red & white, chips and salsa, Entenmann's cakes, cans of soup, soda, beer. You name it; they had it at Sheen Brothers.

The best thing about Sheen Brothers was its proximity to my couch. You could be sitting on the couch and suddenly think, "Boy, I would sure like some Popems." And then, lo! You could walk to Sheen Brothers in your pjs with flip flops and fulfill your wish. If I was on my toes, I could call CRD, who was one of the first people I knew that had a cell phone, and have him make a pit stop at Sheen Brothers on his way over. Many a roll of toilet paper was replaced in this fashion.

And when I move back to Avenue B and work at Kids Discover again and everything is just like it was in 2004 before I ruined it all, once again CRD and I will shop at Sheen Brothers.

No comments: