Friday, November 21, 2008

That Girl, The One Most Likely To

So last night my pal Justin took me to the revival of My Pal Joey, starring Dame Stockard Channing and Miss Martha Plimpton. It wasn't great, but it was good, and it does feature two of my favorite Rodgers & Hart songs - "I Could Write A Book" and "Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered," and I even enjoyed Dame Channing's spoken/sung version of the latter.


Now, when I got home I was talking to David about our upcoming Montreal jaunt, and mentioned Stockard Channing. He said "I don't know who he is." I was so appalled I fell on the floor in a heap.

Now, I don't think I need to tell most people about SC, but what some folks might not know is that in 1973, Joan Rivers wrote an ABC After School Special that is a mix between Now, Voyager and Heathers, and of course starred a very young Stockard Channing - pre-Grease, even!

Just like Bette Davis in Now, Voyager, SC plays an ugly duckling who, by plucking her eyebrows and losing a few pounds, becomes a beautiful, heavily made-up swan. And just like in Heathers, she goes about killing off all her former tormentors.

The movie costars Ed Asner, Jim Backus, and the original Lana Lang, Annette O'Toole. Here's just a little snippet - for anyone wanting to see all 74 minutes of this beauty, my couch is always open.

Here's the only scene I can find on youtube:

2 comments:

Tinsel Shrimpfax said...

I love 'bewitched, bothered and bewildered' so much; what a great song.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Stockard Channing, from TGMLT to Six Degrees of Separation to The West Wing and beyond. She's perfection.