Monday, November 17, 2008

Alligator, White Style



I love Alligators. There's no denying this, and I don't really feel the need to deny it, thankyouverymuch.

One of my favorite things to do when I visit friends is to see their local alligators. When I saw David in Charleston back in May, we took a trip to Alligator Island. Not to be outdone, Sarah and I went to the fancy new California Academy of Sciences just last week to see Claude.

Claude is a 13 year old Albino Alligator. In the wild, the Albinos don't live so long apparently because they have no natural camouflage. This kinda makes sense until you wonder who would prey on them, but I guess I won't worry about that.

Claude is a toughy and gave us each the creeps, but in a good way. The grossest part was how much he looked like raw chicken, the awesomest part was seeing him at all.



See you next time, Claude!

2 comments:

Jesse Whittle-Utter said...

I imagine the lack of camouflage makes it harder for THEM to prey on the reasonably savvy swamp critters who skedaddle when they see a white toothy monster lumbering towards them. Poor Claude & his kind! I will go visit him soon and send you a picture for your collection.

ALH said...

I wonder also if he sunburns easily like people albinos. Oh, mystery of life.