Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Loves at First Bite

Amber and I sure had a fun time watching Love At First Bite a while back, as discussed elsewhere. We had both seen it on the Channel 56 Sunday Afternoon Movie back when we were "tweens" (and before that word was invented), and our fond memories were well-justified.

I was overwhelmed by the similiarites between LAFB (1979) and Splash (1984), and not just because both star sitcom actors in the 'straight man' role, looking to break out in Hollywood (Tom Hanks & Susan St. James, of course - Tom won). Both feature the 'fish out of water' scenario, with Dracula in the first case and, um, a fish in the second. Both have a Eugene Levy character trying to out the protagonist: Richard Benjamin in the former, and, um, Eugene Levy in the latter. And both (spoiler alert!) feature a happy ending with our lovers traveling over/under the ocean to enjoy their new, altered, lives together.

Love at First Bite had the most Roots jokes though, and the most number of The Jeffersons' actors. The preview alone is fantastic.

1 comment:

Tinsel Shrimpfax said...

I was disappointed in Love At First Bite... I don't really know what I was expecting, but I do remember loving it when I was nine. I think my friend's mother must have been MORTIFIED with herself for taking her son and me to see it. The off-color jokes... and so racist!

Splash!, on the other hand - I could watch it forever and not get bored. Dody Goodman alone makes it worth watching.