Monday, September 14, 2009

Person Who Died (Died)

If you had made me guess, I might have thought Jim Carroll died years ago. Apparently, it was over the weekend.

I had my whole Patti Smith/Robert Mapplethorpe obsessions sometime in high school, and Carroll was always a marginal figure in that saga. I appreciated him, but not terribly so.

What I did appreciate was this song. I have a friend who can make himself goosebump on demand, but that's not me. One sure-fire way for me follicles to stand at attention is this number here. David and I had many road trips in college, and whenever this song came on we'd sing along louder than all the others.

Hats off to you, Mr. Carroll.



(the best version I could find had the video for the movie version of his diaries, starring that kid from Growing Pains. Not so bad, actually)

1 comment:

ALH said...

This is a cultural oeuvre which I have no experience with. I never saw Growing Pains, I never knew Jim, and I never saw that baseball diaries movie. I feel so Other.