Wednesday, July 2, 2008

More Songs About Buildings

I run into David Byrne all the time.

I've seen him at several shows, once on New Year's Day riding his bike in Austin, once he ruined a perfectly good evening I was having with Miranda July by doing a PowerPoint, and once Amber and I accidentally snuck into a concert of his.

Recently he opened up his "Playing The Building" art project. DB took an old piano and stuck a bunch of wires in the back and then connected them all over the Battery Maritime Building. When you push the keys, the building makes noise.

I found it interesting, but for the most part it was little kids banging on the keys and the building clanking all around me.

The best part? It was free, and passed the time while waiting for the ferry to Governor's Island.

Thanks for the free art, David!

1 comment:

ALH said...

David Byrne always surprises me, and in a variety of ways. I was first surprised by his wee-height. Then, I was surprised that his hair had turned white like Laura Palmer's dad. And then I was surprised that he was angry at an Apocalyptica show that I was blocking his view (see? short!). And most recently, I was surprised that he was performing at a show at Joe's pub I conned my way into seeing. Surprising: that's his element.