Monday, March 8, 2010

We Must Believe We Are Muppets

Now, two of my favorite things are Cyrstal Gayle and the Muppets. I discovered both of them at a young age, and I appreciate them just as much now that I am in my fourth decade (right? the decade you're in is one more than how old you are?).
I had this record here as a young tot, and would play it over and over again. I loved her pretty voice, and was fascinated with how her hair went down to her feet. I remember asking my mom a lot of questions about how she washed it and put a comb through it. It was only years later that I learned she was Loretta Lynn's sister. Who knew?


Gayle of course sang with Tom Waits on the soundtrack to One From The Heart, probably one of my favorite movies.
But more importantly to me as a kid was her guest spot on The Muppet Show. I remember this scene vividly, and remember rushing upstairs afterwards to sing along with the record (what Deus ex Machina my parents had it in their collection!) to sing along with, in front of the mirror. How I wanted to be on that pirate ship.

It was one of the very first things I hunted for on the youtube.

And here it is. Thanks Crystal, & Muppets.



No comments: