Monday, October 12, 2009

Red Hot Chili Friendship!

Cookery!

So, on Saturday, I had plans with my friend Brian. We decided we were going to make dinner, and I took this photo of the ingredients I had on hand and sent it to him via Technology.

As you can see, these ingredients include Eggplant, Garlic, Onions, Green Tomatoes, and Chilis (HOT Chilis!). Brian put those items into his smart phone and out popped this recipe from a Turkish website:

I like Turkish things, and I certainly liked that all the ingredients from this recipe were things I had on hand.

Anyway, later that day he arrived, and we got to work.

Brian washed the tomatoes

Then chopped them up.

Then he chopped the chilis. Three of them, all different colors (green, yellow, and orange). The chilis were VERY HOT. Much hotter than we had expected. HOT.

In unrelated news, a friend of mine discovered very recently that if you cut chilis, and use your hands to pick out the seeds, then go to the men's room, you will have a 100% chance - even if you wash your hands first - that your man parts will be on FIRE, lasting about 40 minutes. I'm just saying.
Anyway, here's Brian again and all the things he chopped. Green Tomatoes, Eggplant, Chilis. And then he visited the men's room.
Meanwhile, I put the onions and the garlic in the pot. I don't mind telling you I had the WEEPIES from all the onions. People tell you to do stupid things like put a match (unlit! unlit!) in your mouth, or whatever, but it doesn't help. Tears.

Anyway, I very carefully - using the knife not hands! - put the chilis in the mix.

Mmmm! Safety first.
Brian added the seasonings - SALT and PEPPER.

Here it is, cooking up. So in there we have all the aforementioned ingredients, and then a few minutes later we added three spoonfuls of rice. The juice that the vegetables gave up is what puffed up the rice. Science!
Then, about an hour later, it's ready to eat! Lesson Learned: stir it every now and then, or else the bottom of your pan will get blackened. Oh well, that's why God made Brillo Pads.
We served it up with some of that Greek Yogurt and a dusting of mint.
And then we ate it.
Mmmm.
The outcome was pretty good. Next time we wouldn't use all the chilis, because this ended up so spicy there were some more tears. But still, it was tasty, and all the friendship was good too.

Just, you know, next time use gloves.