Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Let Me In'a Your Window

This news burst was in the British papers: sales of Wuthering Heights have quadrupled in the past year.

After 150 years of steady sales, the romance between Heathcliff and Cathy has started flying off the shelves thanks to a generation of teenagers discovering the book through the Twilight saga – a trilogy of books by Stephanie Meyer, which have been turned into hugely popular films, staring Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart.


One publisher even released a Twilight'd up edition of the book:


This burst right here? In the business we call this "marketing' :

I dunno how I feel. It's still one of my favorite books, so I'm glad more people are reading it. Still, I discovered Wuthering Heights in high school through Kate Bush, as one should.


Those socks!

Somehow it seems the youths of today are being shortchanged. I mean, what if they never discover this?





It's like discovering Camus not by way of an explanatary burst on a Cure album, or learning about Buñuel not from the Pixies. We didn't even know how good we had it.

2 comments:

ALH said...

Did you see that Genius stuck "Wuthering Heights" in my current playlist over on my sidebar? I now understand why.

ALH said...

I had never seen this alternative, later, somehow less creepy version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW3gKKiTvjs