Monday, February 8, 2010

A Raw Pearl & A Honey of a Carol

I'm a little surprised I haven't blogged about this yet.


A few months ago I stumbled across this at the NYPL. I have to say, it is the most amazing hour of television I have ever seen. I mean, it's Carol Freakin' Channing and Pearl F'ing Bailey, on Broadway, together.

The two buddies had each starred in Hello Dolly - Carol originating the role, then a few years later Pearl headlining an all-black revival. And then of course, Ms. Streisand was in the movie version. Here they are together with some Jerry Herman, one of the writers of Hello Dolly:
And here they are drinking demitasse (that's French for coffee):


In Carol Channing & Pearl Bailey on Broadway they run through a bunch of greatness together and apart - songs from Guys & Dolls, Fiddler on the Roof (What, you never saw Carol play Tevye?), Pearl nails '76 Trombones,' Carol does her Dietrich impersonation, and the banter is a delight.


I dunno. There's no way to really do it justice unless I eventually show all the clips here. Instead, I think I'll just go watch it one more time.


Here's the first eight minutes or so. Is it a long-ish clip? Yes. Have I watched the whole program about a dozen times already? Yes. Enjoy. Oh, and I will forever pronounce the word 'autobiography' in the Carol Channing Way.

No comments: