Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Goodnight, Kiwi!

So last night I got home and was a bit blue, as Zach has packed up his toys and snaggletooth and is off on a little trip.

But then! I checked the mail! What's this package, I said?

A Novelty-T all the way from New Zealand, via Charleston, featuring The Goodnight Kiwi!


Now, when I went to Charleston back in September, I got to meet David's new buddy, a lovely antipodean named Elena. We talked about all sorts of New Zealand culture, like Kiri Te Kanawa, Flight of the Conchords, my friend Shelley, and the Goodnight Kiwi.


What is the Goodnight Kiwi, you ask? Well, up until 1994, there were only two terrestrial TV stations in New Zealand (That number has since doubled!), and at midnight, they would go off the air. The Goodnight Kiwi was the little cartoon promo they ran, of a sweet lil' Kiwi and his kitty tucking in for the night because there were no more programs to watch.

Here's the wee buddy in all his glory:

Night night little man! I love Foreign Culture, especially as it regards Programs and Novelty Ts.

No comments: